Thank you soooo much to everyone who completed our survey! You are seriously amazinggggg. You have no idea how much it helps to get some awesome feedback from you and really hear what you want from Alisha’s Appetite. I have so many incredible things on the horizon for the rest of this year. Stay tuned <3
But first things first. I’ve heard you loud and clear and ya’ll want more recipes! Ask and you shall receive. I figured I could get away with one more summer-ish recipe before we start getting into the soups, crockpots and pumpkin everything. I give you my Grilled Chicken with Easy Sweet and Spicy Mango Salsa. I’ve even upped my game and am going to be providing you with an easy way to print off the recipe whenever you’d like from here on out. So cool, right?!
Today is supposed to be a high of 80 and sunny, so in my mind summer is STILL HERE. And on the calendar’s mind. hehe. I don’t know about you, but I’m planning on using my grill as much as possible until it’s covered in snow for the next six months. That or it completely breaks down on me- maybe it wasn’t the smartest move to buy a used grill from craigslist 2 years ago. But hey, at least it’s still getting the job done right? Right!
The key to this meal is to have a ripe mango hanging out on your counter. I like to buy a bunch of them when they’re on sale (which is usually when the store has too many of them and they are totally not ripe) and then count down the days until they are ripe enough to make this salsa. Sometimes it takes up to a solid week until they are nice and juicy to cut into. #worthit
This is one of my go-to summer meals when I want something quick, fast and healthy (I’m talking 20 minutes kind of fast!). Sometimes I eat the salsa on chicken (like this recipe…obviously), other times I eat it with tortilla chips and sometimes it’s straight from the bowl with a spoon. SO GOOD. Okay, enough rambling. Here ya go. Enjoy!
- 4 chicken breasts
- Oil of choice (olive, extra virgin or coconut)
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 large fresh tomato (bonus points if it's from your garden!)
- 1/2 red onion
- Handful fresh cilantro
- 1 fresh jalapeno (optional but highly recommended! If you can't take the heat, remove the ribs and seeds! If you're brave - or crazy- leave them in. Live life on the edge!)
- 1 juicy lime
- Salt and Pepper
- Make this FIRST! Chop the mango, tomato, onion, cilantro and jalapeno into very small pieces (try to make them all the same size. Put into a bowl and mix. Add lots of salt and pepper and squeeze the entire lime into bowl. Taste and add more lime juice, cilantro or s/p- whatever it needs! Play around with your taste preference. Let sit on the counter at room temperature for at least 10 minutes and up to 1 hour. The longer it sits, the better it tastes. Make the chicken while it sits.
- Rub chicken breasts with oil and season liberally with salt and pepper on both sides. Grill on high heat for about 5-8 minutes on each side until no longer pink. Serve hot and spoon the cool salsa directly on top. Eat immediately.
- Tip: Can make the salsa ahead of time- maybe in the morning before work, or even the night before. It stays well in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Tip: If you've never cut a mango before, google it first! You don't want to cut right down the middle. Trust me ;)
And be sure to sign up for our Appetite for Wellness newsletter. Lots of good stuff goes out to my email subscribers once a week and you don’t want to miss it! Doooo it!