Bacon. Is there anything it can’t do? For some reason (I mean it’s really not a major mystery), bacon is perfect for sprucing up the perfect food that is fall produce. C’mon now. All of the squashes, cauliflower, brussels and broccoli in the fall cooked with magic turn into something magical. You feel me?
But in all seriousness, how it it even possible that Halloween is this weekend? I feel like time is just flying by! But it’s all good. I’ve been able to do pretty much all of the super typical fall activities that I’ve wanted to do this month. Apple picking- check. Pumpkin patch – check. Lots of fall walks on the trails with the gorgeous foliage – check. Carving pumpkins- going to happen tonight! And this weekend am going out with friends for Halloween. Want to know what we’re going to be? There are four of us. We found these sweet Angry Birds costumes that requires all 4. Please tell me you know what this means. It’s going to be awesome. I’ll show you on Instagram if you’re into that
And hopefully we can hit up a haunted house this weekend. I haven’t gone to one of those in years. Probably for the best, as I get scared pretty easily. Which is probably why I’ve been avoiding watching a scary Halloween movie with the hub, even though he’s been insisting. ‘TIS THE SEASON, he says. I’ll probably cave. Do you like scary movies? As long as they are not “true stories”, I suppose I can deal. I SUPPOSE.
Enough rambling from your girl. Here is this week’s recipe! Have you noticed I’ve been trying to get one recipe up on the blog per week? Yay! I hope you’ve been loving it.
This is a really easy skillet that basically combines all of this season’s beautiful produce: brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes and apples. And we already covered the most important detail So basically: NUTRITION. So much of it. Beta carotene, vitamin C, (did you know one cup of brussels sprouts has 124% of your daily vitamin C daily recommendation?!) fiber, potassium, vitamin A- lots of good stuff for you.
I made this on a weekday night when I had some bacon that I had to cook up and a ton of apples leftover from apple picking. Wanting to incorporate them both, this brussels sprouts and sweet potato skillet with bacon and apples dish was born. #boom. Did I mention this is a ONE POT MEAL? I know. Basically heaven. Sweet, crunchy, tangy and satisfying. I loved this dish. Perfect for a chilly fall night!
- 1 lb Brussels Sprouts
- 1 large Apple (I used pink lady but any kind will work)
- 3 pieces of Natural, Uncured, no Nitrates-Added Bacon
- 1 Large Sweet Potato
- 1 TB Apple Cider Vinegar
- Lots of Salt and Pepper
- Begin by cooking your bacon over low to medium-low heat.
- While the bacon cooks, start preparing your brussels sprouts. Cut off the stem end (the white part) and then cut in half.
- Peel and dice both the sweet potato and apple.
- When the bacon is crispy, remove from pan and set aside. Leave fat in the pan.
- Carefully place the sweet potato cubes and brussels sprouts in the same pan. Make sure that the sweet potatoes are in pretty small cubes, or else they won't be finished cooking at the same time as the brussels. Toss in the bacon fat and add lots of salt and pepper.
- When both the potato and sprouts have lots of color (about 8-10 minutes), add the apple and dash of apple cider vinegar.
- Let cook for another 5 minutes.
- Taste test and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Toss with crumbled bacon pieces.
Tell me your Halloween costume!
Please PIN this recipe on Pinterest or share it with someone who you think might love it on Facebook! Love you long time.